Monday, January 23, 2012

100 miles

I hit my first milestone on Saturday morning, 100 miles. I planned for it to happen somewhere on Riverside, but it ended up happening on a treadmill at my gym.
I thought I was ready for cold weather running. And for my California friends and family, when I say cold weather running, I don't mean 30 degrees. It was 15 when I started, and below zero wind chills into the north wind. My gloves and hat were useless. I ran a mile into that wind then turned around and ran back. I was afraid of triggering an asthma attack or worse, so I finished on the treadmill.
It turned out being the best run of my training, time wise and energy spent to get to that time. It was my 24th run, 106 miles run.
In times past, I am not sure I would have finished that Saturday morning run. While I was disappointed I was not able to finish the run in the cold, it took some discipline to drive to the gym and make myself finish on the treadmill. I am starting to see the benefits of not just the physical, but the mental toughness and mental training that is necessary to complete this goal. It's amazing how much this has taught me about myself.

2 comments:

  1. I need to find something to energize me... but couldn't do a marathon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can follow me that morning yelling insults at me! You can ride your bike.

    ReplyDelete